Mutual exchanges

A mutual exchange is when two or more social housing tenants agree to swap homes.  Once you have had your tenancy for a minimum of 12 months you may be able to exchange your home with another tenant from another social landlord.  Providing both parties have a secured or assured tenancy, the Association will welcome applications for mutual exchanges.  If you know someone who would like to exchange with you, whether you are both Westfield Housing tenants or your interested party are tenants of another social landlord, please complete a mutual exchange form.

You can also register your details in our Home Swap Book, which can be found in our reception, to let others know you are interested in finding a swap.   Alternatively, complete this form, as we may know other tenants that’s are interested in a mutual exchange.  If you find a suitable home in the book all you need to do is complete the mutual exchange form and we will carry out the relevant checks to confirm you meet the criteria.

You could find a mutual exchange on Cumbria Choice, you can register your interest online at

You could also register with Homeswapper.  HomeSwapper provide a mutual exchange service to over 500 social housing providers in the UK and is one of the most widely used online home exchanges service available.   

It is the most widely used service across social housing providers with over 23.2 Million-page viewers per month, over 94% of users are reported to find a match with in the first month.

If you would like to register for this service, go to If you do not have access to a computer, we have one available for use in our office at the Minto Centre.  Please ask a member of staff for details.

By exploring these options you could find alternative accommodation quicker.

Mutual exchange policy