Money, Benefits and Wellbeing Advice

If you are unable to pay your rent or are facing any other financial hardship, your first, and so very important step, is to talk to us. Our Housing management team can offer support and advice if you are facing any problems or struggling with any aspects of your tenancy, we want you to know that we are here to help.  Our Income Management Officer can give you the help and support you need. The sooner you talk to us, the sooner we can help, give us a call on 01900 602906.

We will listen and offer advice and support tailored specifically to your circumstances.  We can perform a benefits check; prepare a payment plans and help with a budgeting plan.  There may be instances where you may need more specialist financial advice in which case we can refer to organisations such as the Citizens Advice Bureau  and

You can also contact The Cumbria Law Centre for legal advice 

If you are struggling with your mental health and feel you need to speak to someone you can contact:


Samaritans offer a safe place for you to talk any time you like, in your own way – about whatever’s getting to you. You don’t have to be suicidal. Call Samaritans free, 24 hours a day 365 days a year.

Telephone: 116 123




Mind provide advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem. They campaign to improve services, raise awareness and promote understanding.

Telephone: 0300 123 3393


We can also refer you to Focus Family programme who can help with various benefits and personal family issues. 

Please see the links under our our Money, Benefits and Wellbeing heading.

Do you receive housing benefit or Universal Credit?

If you’re finding it hard to keep up with your rent payments, you need to make sure you are claiming everything you are entitled to. It could be what makes the difference between being able to pay your rent on time or not.

Benefits can pay for all or part of your rent depending on a number of different things. To find out how much you could claim:

Use Cumberland Councils free benefit calculator Calculating benefits 

Contact your local authority using the government’s housing benefit information

If you need to make a new benefit claim to help pay your rent, you will probably need to apply for Universal Credit. This has replaced a number of benefits for most people, including housing benefit.

If you already get housing benefit, do not worry - you will carry on getting it as normal. But if you have a change in your life, like moving in with a partner or having a baby, you might need to make a new claim for Universal Credit instead.


Your home